Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Hot Topic: Sharing Lesson Plans Online

I remember being a young girl and rushing through my homework so my mother would let me help her grade papers.  I would sit at the kitchen table with a red pen in hand correcting multiple choice questions.  My mother, a high school teacher, would sit across from me slaving away at lesson plans and calculating grades by hand while juggling phone calls with parents of trouble maker students.  Fast forward 15 years, I often wonder how my mother did it.  Technology has provided me and other teachers of my generation with the luxury of googling lesson plans, posting grades online, and emailing parents.  But with every advancement in technology, discrepancy is sure to follow...

Is it right for teachers to search for lesson plans on the internet and adapt them as their own?  Many teachers argue that if a lesson was posted, it was made public and therefore is "fair game" for the classroom.  Tons of databases are at the touch of one's fingertips providing worksheets, labs, and classroom presentations.  Why would these items be so easily available if they weren't meant to be shared?  Others argue that lessons online are only posted for the use of their students, not for other teachers.  Many teachers create blogs that their students can follow to easily access worksheets and classrooms lectures.  What happens if another teacher stumbles across these resources?

Tell me what you think.  Do you share your lesson plans online?  Do you search for classrooms plans, activities, labs, etc on the internet?  Would you be bothered if someone else used one of your lesson plans and called it their own?





5 comments:

  1. Great start to your blog. I love that you added a anecdote from your childhood and a thought provoking question for your followers to ponder. And yes, I grew up watching my mom do the same thing and I still don't know how she did it. I wouldn't be able to work in the educational field without the easy access of knowledge at my finger tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that so much of my planning sometimes takes place at home or not at school where I can look for other ideas online. There are times that I see things that I wonder if I can apply to my lessons to improve or to make lessons/ learning more engaging. As a music teacher I'm often the only one in my building teaching my subject area, so the internet is such a valuable resource. What are your thoughts on the pay for lesson plan/ resource websites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Trumpler- you beat me to it! Stay tuned for a post about paying for lesson plans!

      Delete
  3. No doubt about it, lesson plans are made to be shared, critiqued, and executed uniquely by each teacher. I feel that if an educators heart is in the right place, one will not care if their well crafted lesson plans are mimicked. What educators need to be concerned with is the quality of education for all of our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow middle school teacher, I am all about sharing lesson plans. There is no reason to "reinvent the wheel," especially if someone has more experience or perfected the lesson over the years. I usually look through various history websites to help me, such as the History Channel's website (www.history.com).

    ReplyDelete